From: Diamond <diamond@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Current Gentoo Git setup / man-in-the-middle attacks
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 17:56:59
1 On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 18:41:33 +0200
2 Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi!
7 > For the current Gentoo Git setup I found these methods working for
8 > accessing a repository, betagarden in this case:
9 >
10 > git://anongit.gentoo.org/proj/betagarden.git
11 > (git://git.gentoo.org/proj/betagarden.git)
12 > (git://git.overlays.gentoo.org/proj/betagarden.git)
13 >
14 > http://anongit.gentoo.org/git/proj/betagarden.git
15 >
16 > (http://cgit.gentooexperimental.org/proj/betagarden.git)
17 >
18 > git+ssh://git@××××××××××.org/proj/betagarden.git
19 > (git+ssh://git@×××××××××××××××××××.org/proj/betagarden.git)
20 >
21 > Those without braces are the ones announced at the repository's page
22 > [1].
23 >
24 > My concerns about the current set of supported ways of transfer are:
25 >
26 > * There does not seem to be support for https://. Please add it.
27 >
28 > * Why do we serve Git over git:// and http:// if those are vulnerable
29 > to man-in-the-middle attacks (before having waterproof GPG
30 > protection for whole repositories in place)?
31 > Especially with ebuilds run by root, we cannot afford MITM.
34 > So I would like to propose that
35 >
36 > * support for Git access through https:// is activated,
37 >
38 > * Git access through http:// and git:// is deactivated, and
39 >
40 > * the URLs on gitweb.gentoo.org and the Layman registry are
41 > updated accordingly. (Happy to help with the latter.)
44 > Thanks for your consideration.
45 >
46 > Best,
50 > Sebastian
53 > [1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/betagarden.git/
56 Doesn't git:// uses SSH wich is secure? I think that was on github.