From: Michiel de Bruijne <m.debruijne@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 42 (Was: Getting Important Updates To Users)
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 12:57:16
1 On Saturday 05 November 2005 06:08, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > Why does `emerge --changelog` not suffice for package-specific news?
3
4 >From a user/sys.admin point of view let me give you an example;
5
6 I maintain quite a lot Gentoo-systems. For me it's impossible to read _every_
7 changelog for minor release changes. For example not so long ago Apache was
8 upgraded from 2.0.54-r15 to 2.0.54-r31. For me as a user/sys.admin based on
9 versionnumbers this is a minor change. However the changes were rather
10 extensive (e.g. reorganization of conf.files).
11
12 When these changes occur I want to be informed _before_ I start emerge and I
13 think that this information should be _pushed_ to users/sys.admins instead of
14 _pulled_ from external sources (forums, website, mailinglist, etc. or
15 changelogs).
16
17 If changelogs could be extended with a priority flag and emerge would notify
18 me when a high priority changelog is applicable to my system then this would
19 be just fine for me. Basically all I want is;
20
21 Notification that new relevant news items will be displayed via the
22 ``emerge`` tool in a similar way to the existing "configuration files need
23 updating" messages:
24
25 ::
26
27 * Important: 3 config files in /etc need updating.
28 * Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.
29
30 * Important: there are 2 security advisories released for installed
31 packages.
32 * Type emerge --security to see the details.
33
34 * Important: there are 5 unread news items.
35 * Type emerge --help news to learn how to read news files.
36
37 If this is possible by extending the changelog I'm a happy users/sys.admin. I
38 don't care if I need to type emerge --news or emerge --changelog as long the
39 information is pushed.
42 Disclaimer; I'm not 100% sure that the versionnumbers from Apache mentioned
43 above are exact the real world examples, but you get the idea.
44
45 Regards,
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list