From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Dependencies on system packages
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 01:37:11
1 And, on a more general note, don't bother depending on a package listed
2 in base/packages. It's pointless and just create more noise.
5 On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 01:11:17 +0000
6 Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o> wrote:
7
8 > There are a lot of packages in the tree which DEPEND on some version
9 > of sys-apps/portage, mostly for historical reasons. Try to avoid doing
10 > this in your packages where possible -- if it's a genuine dependency
11 > then obviously it should be there, but if the dep is only in the
12 > ebuild to avoid hitting a bug that was in portage-2.0.49-r3 (for
13 > example), it's unnecessary now. I'm going to be removing some of
14 > these redundant deps.
15 >
16 > On which note, the current base profile specifies portage-2.0.51.22 or
17 > later -- can anyone see a reason not to require 2.1? There are a lot
18 > of packages that dep on portage-2.1 for the "wrong" reasons above,
19 > which I'd like to be able to clean up.
20 --
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list