From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo for non-686 systems
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 19:29:24
1 On Sun, 01 Jul 2001 22:22:14 +0200 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger)
2 wrote:
3
4 > Collins Richey wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Daniel,
7 > >
8 > > A plea from a happy Gentoo user. It's not really a "good idea" to
9 > release
10 > > a distro compiled for use only on the latest and greatest Pentium
11 > > processor. There are thousands of Linux enthusiasts out there (like
12 > > myself) who might be interested in Gentoo, but who can't make the grade
13 > > with the latest hardware.
14 > >
15 > > I've been running Gentoo for several months now with code compiled for
16 > the
17 > > 486, and my system (K6/II) performs very well. It boots and shuts down
18 > > faster than any distro that I've used, even those optimized for 586. I
19 > > don't believe that anyone other than those who run a very heavily
20 > loaded
21 > > server are going to see any real benefits from the optimizations, and I
22 > > don't believe (IMHO) that server people are going to queue up for a new
23 > and
24 > > (in their view) untested distro.
25 > >
26 > > I'm trying to sell your product on my user list
27 > > (http://linux.nf/mailman/listinfo/linux-users), but they like to see
28 > > someone who has tried it first, and of course I don't qualify with my
29 > > K6/II. I would be downloading the latest Gentoo right now, if I could
30 > use
31 > > it.
32 > >
33 > > I believe this is a big mistake.
34 >
35 > We planed to relase optimized versions for i [456]86 systems, but we
36 > where abit short in time.
37 > I'm currently packaging an 586 version here and it should be available
38 > on monday or thursday for download.
41 And not a moment too soon <grin>. I wasn't trying to be a pain in the
42 butt, but I believe in the long run you would be better off packaging a
43 more generally usable release first and later the optimized versions.
46 Collins Richey
47 Denver area
48 gentoo system