From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo for non-686 systems
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 15:40:37
1 Collins Richey wrote:
2 >
3 > Daniel,
4 >
5 > A plea from a happy Gentoo user. It's not really a "good idea" to release
6 > a distro compiled for use only on the latest and greatest Pentium
7 > processor. There are thousands of Linux enthusiasts out there (like
8 > myself) who might be interested in Gentoo, but who can't make the grade
9 > with the latest hardware.
10 >
11 > I've been running Gentoo for several months now with code compiled for the
12 > 486, and my system (K6/II) performs very well. It boots and shuts down
13 > faster than any distro that I've used, even those optimized for 586. I
14 > don't believe that anyone other than those who run a very heavily loaded
15 > server are going to see any real benefits from the optimizations, and I
16 > don't believe (IMHO) that server people are going to queue up for a new and
17 > (in their view) untested distro.
18 >
19 > I'm trying to sell your product on my user list
20 > (http://linux.nf/mailman/listinfo/linux-users), but they like to see
21 > someone who has tried it first, and of course I don't qualify with my
22 > K6/II. I would be downloading the latest Gentoo right now, if I could use
23 > it.
24 >
25 > I believe this is a big mistake.
26
27 We planed to relase optimized versions for i [456]86 systems, but we
28 where abit short in time.
29 I'm currently packaging an 586 version here and it should be available
30 on monday or thursday for download.
31
32 bye achim~
35 > Thanks,