From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo for non-686 systems
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 08:21:12
1 Daniel,
2
3 A plea from a happy Gentoo user. It's not really a "good idea" to release
4 a distro compiled for use only on the latest and greatest Pentium
5 processor. There are thousands of Linux enthusiasts out there (like
6 myself) who might be interested in Gentoo, but who can't make the grade
7 with the latest hardware.
8
9 I've been running Gentoo for several months now with code compiled for the
10 486, and my system (K6/II) performs very well. It boots and shuts down
11 faster than any distro that I've used, even those optimized for 586. I
12 don't believe that anyone other than those who run a very heavily loaded
13 server are going to see any real benefits from the optimizations, and I
14 don't believe (IMHO) that server people are going to queue up for a new and
15 (in their view) untested distro.
16
17 I'm trying to sell your product on my user list
18 (http://linux.nf/mailman/listinfo/linux-users), but they like to see
19 someone who has tried it first, and of course I don't qualify with my
20 K6/II. I would be downloading the latest Gentoo right now, if I could use
21 it.
22
23 I believe this is a big mistake.
24