From: James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pending removal(?) of media-libs/pdflib
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 17:07:21
1 >>>>> "FR" == Francesco R <vivo75@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 FR> Last time (many moons ago) I've checked cairo did not generated pdf
4 FR> it did generated raster images and wrapped them in a thin pdf layer.
5 FR> pdflib is generating vector pdf which is a different thing.
6
7 Cairo will fall back to an image for anything which cannot be described
8 by whichever output driver one uses. Transparency will cause that when
9 generating PostScript, for instance, because PostScript does not support
10 transparency. But there are few—if any—ops which cairo supports which
11 are not also supported by pdf.
12
13 Gnuplot’s cairopdf terminal generates vector output. One might argue
14 that it is not optimal, but only because it uses line segments rather
15 than cubic curves to approximate graphs. (Ie, it uses cairo’s lineto
16 rather than curveto functions.)
17
18 But so do gnuplot’s native terminals (I tested postscript and svg.)
19
20 That is just how gnuplot draws.
21
22 I’d still keep the pdf USE flag with its current meaning; users may have
23 existing gnuplot scripts which use gnuplot’s pdf terminal and/or apps
24 which generate such scripts. Unless, of course, a patch is added which
27 -JimC
28 --
29 James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6