From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 03:17:30
1 On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Daniel Drake wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4
5 <snip>
6
7 > My question is, how can we improve this situation? Portage really needs a
8 > decent messaging system to convey messages like this. It's in the works,
9 > right? It seems long overdue now...
10
11 Just in case it was lost in all of the messages...
12
13 The correct fix is a combination of solutions:
14
15 1. Use the mailing lists to announce changes that will break things
16 unless the users take action.
17
18 2. Use the newsletter to announce changes that will break things unless
19 the users take action.
20
21 3. Have emerge print a summary of the changes that will break things
22 unless the users take action that were installed in that run after
23 emerge finishes running (reducing the emerge output to just this info
24 would also work.)
25
26 4. Have an option, specifiable in /etc/make.conf, to email the output in
27 3 instead.
30 Actions three and four should be fairly easy, as someone mentioned a
31 program that apparently runs over the contents of /var/log/portage, and
32 produces a list of those changes. It should be trivial to include that
33 in portage, or have it installed with portage, and have emerge execute
34 it after a run that installed things.
35
36 Actions one and two should be fairly easy, as everyone writing to this
37 list has demonstrated the technical competence to do the first, and I'm
38 sure most of us have demonstrated the technical competence to do the
39 second - there's a blurb at the end of every newsletter, informing
40 anyone who cares how to get something added.
41
42 Note that I expect that we'll have all of the above in place sometime
43 before we've hired our tenth full-time developer. While I don't expect
44 that we'll have all of them in place before our first full-time
45 developer, I certainly wouldn't mind. (I think that, so long as this
46 remains a part-timer operation, having two of the four options generally
47 available would suffice. That is, until the code items for three and
48 four are complete, the first two really should be used.)
49
50 > In the meantime, could we have handled this better with the resources
51 > available to us right now? How have other people coped with similar changes?
52
53 Of course. Actions one and two do not require any code updates.
54
55 Ed
58 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list