From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:35:20
1 On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 03:21 +0000, Ed Grimm wrote:
2 > Note that I expect that we'll have all of the above in place sometime
3 > before we've hired our tenth full-time developer. While I don't expect
4 > that we'll have all of them in place before our first full-time
5 > developer, I certainly wouldn't mind. (I think that, so long as this
6 > remains a part-timer operation, having two of the four options generally
7 > available would suffice. That is, until the code items for three and
8 > four are complete, the first two really should be used.)
9
10 *APPLAUSE*
11
12 Thank you. This really is the best news I have heard on this. Perhaps
13 we need to use gentoo-announce more. We have several resources at our
14 disposal, the www.gentoo.org site, the forums announcements, the GWN,
15 and the -announce mailing list.
16
17 I think part of the problem is that some people (myself included) rely
18 on functionality which is not meant to be relied on, such as using
19 hotplug to find devices which were plugged in at boot time, and
20 therefore not *hot plugged* into the machine.
21
22 Essentially, many people (once again, myself included) were using an
23 application in a way in which is what not intended by the upstream
24 author. The "unwanted" functionality was removed, with lots of big
25 warnings, and many people complained. It happens... big deal. Let's
26 learn from it and move on to working on making a better solution for the
27 future.
30 Chris Gianelloni
31 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
32 Games - Developer
33 Gentoo Linux