From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage-1.5_pre7
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 14:14:20
1 On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 11:30:31AM +0100, Philippe Namias wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Just for telling that i just emerge during all the weekend and nearly install
5 > all the package using emerge. So far with no problem.
6
7 Wonderful. :)
8
9 > But i have a few question :
10 >
11 > Why after merging a packages we leave data in /tmp/portage/package_name ?
12
13 Right now, Portage works this way because it's been used by developers who
14 may need to look in /tmp/portage later to track down build problems. Soon,
15 we'll have an "auto-cleanup" Portage option that will be on by default.
16
17 > Is it normal that i can do emerge packgae_name as many time that i want ?
18
19 For now, yes. At some point soon, this will change. (When we add MULTIPLE
20 version management features)
21
22 > For example if i run it twice emerge on gtk-xemacs i run into trouble telling
23 > me xemacs can't find the root for data, lib. The only that i found to restore
24 > gtk-xemacs is to erase the directory /var/db/packages/apps-editor/gtk-xemacs
25 > and also /tmp/portage/gtk-xemacs? Any idea?
26
27 Yes, I have an idea. There was a bug in an earlier version of Portage where
28 the new files didn't get "touched" (so their mtimes were updated). For many
29 packages, this caused the auto-unmerge to remove way too many things. It's
30 been fixed now, so you may want to check to see if you're using the latest
31 version of ebuild. Be careful, because Achim is having trouble with the most
32 recent version on CVS. I'm working on an even more dramatically different
33 version right now on our server, and I'll commit it once I make sure that it's
34 working well.
37 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
38 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
39 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.