From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] splitting out arm keywords
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 01:48:36
1 arm has a historical problem with stabilization, while keywording
2 doesn't require access to all arm sub-arches the problem with the
3 stabilization slowness causes running a full ~arm to become hard. By
4 that I mean that if someone keywords something for arm because it works
5 on armv7 and I run ~arm because stabilization takes forever then my
6 system may break because of both non-stabilized packages and because I
7 could be running armv6.
8
9 In any case I propose splitting out arm into armv4, armv5, armv6 and
10 armv7. armv8 seems to be here already as arm64.
11
12 I think this would be beneficial because of not all developers that want
13 to help with arm have or what all the sub-arches necessary. It also
14 allows us to move faster on stabilization because most of us have access
15 to armv7 a bit easier. This would take some pressure off of the people
16 doing stabilization for older sub-arches, but not much.
19 Some issues that need solving are as follows.
20
21 [hard|soft]float differences. what stabilization means would need to be
22 clarified a bit here.
23
24 additional overhead of multiple arm teams
27 Might be missing some points, but that's the main stuff I think
30 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)