From: Ruud Koolen <redlizard@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] splitting out arm keywords
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 14:36:22
1 On Wednesday 09 July 2014 03:48:40 Matthew Thode wrote:
2 > arm has a historical problem with stabilization, while keywording
3 > doesn't require access to all arm sub-arches the problem with the
4 > stabilization slowness causes running a full ~arm to become hard. By
5 > that I mean that if someone keywords something for arm because it works
6 > on armv7 and I run ~arm because stabilization takes forever then my
7 > system may break because of both non-stabilized packages and because I
8 > could be running armv6.
9
10 So how common is it for a package to work correctly on armv7 but break on
11 armv6? As far as I can see, splitting the keywords is a good idea if and only
12 if this is common.
13
14 > In any case I propose splitting out arm into armv4, armv5, armv6 and
15 > armv7. armv8 seems to be here already as arm64.
16
17 Do you foresee ~armv4 and ~armv5 keywords actually showing up in practice?
18
19 > I think this would be beneficial because of not all developers that want
20 > to help with arm have or what all the sub-arches necessary. It also
21 > allows us to move faster on stabilization because most of us have access
22 > to armv7 a bit easier. This would take some pressure off of the people
23 > doing stabilization for older sub-arches, but not much.
26 > Some issues that need solving are as follows.
27 >
28 > [hard|soft]float differences. what stabilization means would need to be
29 > clarified a bit here.
30
31 The same issue as above applies. Do packages commonly break or unbreak
32 depending on hardfloat versus softfloat?
33
34 -- Ruud