From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pushing to distfiles?
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 22:03:45
1 On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 19:38:35 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I just host stuff like that on my dev webspace, or better yet on
5 > github or something else that will auto-tarball stuff.
6
7 Oh, yeah, and don't rely on github auto-tarball stuff.
8
9 History has demonstrated github sometimes "forgets" their cached copies
10 of those tarballs, and then later when requested, it will regenerate
11 them fresh ... but with different SHAsums.
12
13 If you're gonna use github for tarballs, roll that tarball yourself,
14 and attach it to a "release", manually and explicitly, and then use the
15 URL to the release asset.
16
17 Only then can you be sure:
18
19 a) Of what the tarball actually contains
20 b) Of what the tarballs SHAsum will be