From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Common make.conf screwups?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 21:57:01
1 At 2004-11-19T14:42:37+0000, Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 7:45:29 pm 11/18/04 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
3 > > I've got some better vim syntax highlighting rules for make.conf lined
4 > > up to go into the next app-vim/gentoo-syntax. One of the things that
5 > > this lets me do is highlighting of (some kinds of) mistakes. What're
6 > > the most common screwups that people see? My current list is:
7 >
8 > I don't know if you can detect it, but basing a var on another unset var,
9 > i.e.
10 >
11 > #PORTDIR=/usr/portage
12 > then later in make.conf:
13 > PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
14 > or something similar
15
16 I understand what you're thinking, but that's a bad example... $PORTDIR
17 is set to its default of "/usr/portage" before make.conf is parsed. Your
18 example would set $PKGDIR to "/usr/portage/packages" anyway. An
19 interesting quirk is found when one changes $PORTDIR without uncommenting
20 all the variables which use it. For example:
21
22 PORTDIR=/some/where/else
23 #PKGDIR=${PORTDIR}/packages
24
25 in one's make.conf leaves $PKGDIR set to "/usr/portage/packages".
28 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
29 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
30 --Ghost in the Shell