From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: supervise-daemon -- a lightweight openrc daemon supervisor
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:32:27
1 On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 12:51:17 -0600
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > there is a branch in the OpenRC github repo called supervisor.
5
6 Interesting!
7
8 > It is still very rough, and not ready for production, but at this
9 > point I would like to make everyone aware that it exists and ask
10 > folks to go over the code and provide comments.
11
12 I'm not really qualified to comment on the code but I'm aware that
13 there are lot of ways to get this wrong so please do your homework if
14 you haven't done so already. Your post seems like a good start. :)
15
16 runit seems highly regarded and we use it at work on CentOS to allow
17 users of the same UNIX group to manage a collection of processes
18 without requiring root or sudo. I wasn't aware of s6 at the time but
19 I've heard that's also good and this makes an interesting read.
20
21 http://skarnet.org/software/s6/why.html
22
23 I wonder if it might even make more sense to reuse one of these instead
24 of reinventing the wheel. They are both extremely lightweight. If you
25 feel you can do better though then go for it!
26
27 Regards,
28 --
29 James Le Cuirot (chewi)