From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
Cc: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: supervise-daemon -- a lightweight openrc daemon supervisor
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 22:08:24
1 On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 07:32:08PM +0000, James Le Cuirot wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 12:51:17 -0600
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > there is a branch in the OpenRC github repo called supervisor.
6 >
7 > Interesting!
8 >
9 > > It is still very rough, and not ready for production, but at this
10 > > point I would like to make everyone aware that it exists and ask
11 > > folks to go over the code and provide comments.
12 >
13 > I'm not really qualified to comment on the code but I'm aware that
14 > there are lot of ways to get this wrong so please do your homework if
15 > you haven't done so already. Your post seems like a good start. :)
16
17 That's exactly why I posted it; I know this is a complex issue, so I
18 want others to look over the code and provide suggestions for cleaning
19 it up before it goes mainline.
20
21 > runit seems highly regarded and we use it at work on CentOS to allow
22 > users of the same UNIX group to manage a collection of processes
23 > without requiring root or sudo. I wasn't aware of s6 at the time but
24 > I've heard that's also good and this makes an interesting read.
25 >
26 > http://skarnet.org/software/s6/why.html
27 >
28 > I wonder if it might even make more sense to reuse one of these instead
29 > of reinventing the wheel. They are both extremely lightweight. If you
30 > feel you can do better though then go for it!
31
32 We have s6 support in OpenRC, and I am looking at integrating runit
33 support as well.
34
35 For s6 info, see the s6-guide.md file located in
36 /usr/share/doc/openrc-*.
37
38 This is experimental work at this point, because I've been asked to
39 determine how much work would be involved in having a small light-weight
40 supervisor in OpenRC directly.
41
42 > Regards,
43 > --