From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RC_STRICT_NET_CHECKING or the net dependency
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:28:59
1 On Sunday 22 October 2006 07:52, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > OK, from my persepective we had RC_STRICT_NET_CHECKING because we couldn't
3 > previously handle multiple provides. Here's how the new way translates.
4
5 i use it because i want to disable most net based requirements ... my machines
6 all use this:
7
8 > lo - net is up if lo is up
9 > Just have net.lo in the boot runlevel - it should always be there anyway.
10
11 so you're saying if net.lo is in the boot runlevel, and i put say net.eth0
12 [wired] and net.eth1 [wireless] into my default runlevel, i dont have to
13 worry about eth0/eth1 screwing up my net services ?
14
15 for example, if i start stopping/starting net.eth[01], i certainly dont want
16 sshd/tftpd/rsyncd/etc... starting and stopping as well ... nor do i want
17 these services to fail because net.eth[01] failed to start at boot
18
19 thus RC_STRICT_NET_CHECKING=lo gave me the perfect behavior
20 -mike