From: Paul <set@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: qpkg / portage peculiarities
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 12:46:15
1 Edward Muller <edwardam@××××××××.com>, on Tue Apr 09, 2002 [12:54:18 PM] said:
2 > Lemme add to the <rant/> a bit.
3 >
4 > Why does portage/emerge not use spython? I though (perhaps wrongly) that
5 > was one of the main reasons for a system python. If not what other
6 > reason is there for spython?
7 >
8 > I think it would be best to have portage use spython so those that don't
9 > really want a python package (I'm NOT one of them) can possibly
10 > (depending on other deps) get away with it.
11 >
12 > Also relying on spython instead of python would mean less problems with
13 > people removing python IMHO.
16 Hi;
17
18 Having emerge use a staticly linked python makes naive
19 sense to me. You can end up with a dynamic python linked against
20 X and tcl-tk, which I believe bit some poor fellow after he
21 unmerged X, and his python (and thus portage) broke...
22 (I believe this is true; my python isnt, but seeing
23 the persons post and examining the ebuild, and a tk enabled
24 python on another system, it seems so.)
25
26 Paul
27 set@×××××.com