From: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage and /usr/local
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 05:59:15
1 >>>>> "Marko" == Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org> writes:
2
3 Marko> If you find more important to have a clean /usr/bin, I wonder if
4 Marko> having a mess in /usr/local/bin would help.
5
6 No, of course. But, can you imagine that, on a Unix system, 'gcc' is
7 in the same place than 'gkrellm', can you imagine that 'widget' (a
8 example app from perl/tk) lives with the 'find' command ?
9
10 For my own, i'll _never_ consider 'find' and 'gcc' on the same basis
11 as gkrellm or widget.
12
13 Don't know if my english skill is enough to express what i mean...
14
15 Marko> The "cleanest" situation is when you have 50% in /usr/bin and 50% in
16 Marko> /usr/local/bin, since otherways the other
17 Marko> will be a mess :-)
18
19 It's not a matter of repartition, it's a matter of software
20 categorization.
21
22 Marko> Consider for example "non system" software which installs kernel
23 Marko> modules (for example AVFS, a user mode
24 Marko> filesystem, or LiS, linux streams implementation. both are not yet
25 Marko> complete software and cannot be threaded
26 Marko> like "system" of "base" installation).
27
28 Yes, i know it needs some work ;-)
29 --
30 Éric Jacoboni, né il y a 1334667036 secondes