From: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>
To: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@××××××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage and /usr/local
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 19:09:03
1 Eric Jacoboni wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > - one of the main reason of my *BSD choice is about files locations
5 > (when i ls a linux directory, it's like entering my son's bedroom
6 > ;-). With portage system, i think it could be possible to choose the
7 > target install directory, via an environnement variable (i've
8 > searched but i've no find anything like that). With such a variable
9 > it could be possible to assure that "system" ebuilds are installed
10 > under /, but "non-systems" ones are installed in another place, say
11 > /usr/local, if we want so. Seeing gkrellm installed under /usr/bin
12 > is, definitively, not what i had choosen if i had to install it
13 > manually. Furthermore, it could un-bloat /etc, /usr/bin directories.
14
15 Why UNIX has the distinction between /,/usr ?
16 I readed in the GNU Hurd documentation that it is just
17 a tradition from the old tape times, althrough it is true that
18 this separation eases the network sharing of binaries (/usr can be
19 mounted readonly
20 in remote clients).
21
22 My system administration instinct says that I should install manually
23 compiled software in /usr/local because it won't conflict with the packages
24 managed by the system. This way, one can protect installed software
25 and uninstall software manually without fear.
26 But if some package management protects the config files, records the
27 files
28 owned by a package, handles concurrent version, and allows to uninstall
29 at anytime,
30 what does change if it is located in /usr or in /usr/local ?
31
32 If you find it is important to keep the software phisically located in
33 some partition rather than
34 in some other I think that the best solution would be if portage would
35 use "Stow" to store
36 the whole package in /usr/local/stow/packagename and then symlink each
37 element of its contains
38 in / ... . This approach has the benefit of having concurrent versions
39 and revisions of the same packages alive
40 and hot-switchable.
41
42 If you find more important to have a clean /usr/bin, I wonder if having
43 a mess in /usr/local/bin would help.
44 The "cleanest" situation is when you have 50% in /usr/bin and 50% in
45 /usr/local/bin, since otherways the other
46 will be a mess :-)
47 The qpkg or epm utilities can help you in browsing your software
48 better than a "ls /usr/bin" with 3000 lines output will do.
49
50 I agree that it would be nice if the administrator could choose wich
51 philosofy to follow, but
52 consider that many ebuild will have to be rewritten and/or perhaps
53 filled with hacks to implement
54 this relocability, because some software installation is not the simple
55 /usr/bin -> /usr/local/bin thing.
56 Consider for example "non system" software which installs kernel modules
57 (for example AVFS, a user mode
58 filesystem, or LiS, linux streams implementation. both are not yet
59 complete software and cannot be threaded
60 like "system" of "base" installation).
61
62 Just my 2 cents,
63
64 Marko Mikulicic