From: Dominik Westner <westner@×××××××××××.com>
To: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>
Cc: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@××××××××××××.org>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage and /usr/local
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 01:58:48
1 On Donnerstag, September 5, 2002, at 02:08 AM, Marko Mikulicic wrote:
2 >
3 > Why UNIX has the distinction between /,/usr ?
4 > I readed in the GNU Hurd documentation that it is just
5 > a tradition from the old tape times, althrough it is true that
6 > this separation eases the network sharing of binaries (/usr can be
7 > mounted readonly
8 > in remote clients).
11 Interesting I always thought that you can boot a system without /usr.
12 Anything which is necessary for system startup is located in /bin,
13 /sbin, /lib ...
14
15 Dominik