From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage and /usr/local
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 04:05:19
1 On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 08:58:47AM +0200, Dominik Westner wrote:
2 > Interesting I always thought that you can boot a system without /usr.
3 > Anything which is necessary for system startup is located in /bin,
4 > /sbin, /lib ...
5
6 /bin, /sbin, /lib etc... are the files necessary to boot the system and to be
7 able to mount /usr (seperate partition or even NFS-exported).
8
9 /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/lib, /use/share etc... are the rest of the files,
10 provided by the distribution. This can be NFS-exported as happens frequently
11 on large networks where the boxes are merely intended for command-line usage
12 (but also "bigger" usage is possible, ofcourse).
13
14 /usr/local consist of the files that are compiled *on that box*, not by using
15 any distribution-provided packagingtool (that's why all the tarballs you'll
16 find install themselves in /usr/local by default).
17
18 /opt is, as mentioned by another poster (sry, I've forgotten your name), most
19 of the time used for binary installs, such as the LSB-rpms.
20
21 This is how I've learned about the dir-structure. I think this is also the
22 way that FHS defines everything (in general).
23
24 I know there aren't tools in /usr that should be in /bin etc... since my /usr
25 is a seperate partition and works great, so I don't think there is a problem.
26
27 Has anyone succesfully used Gentoo in a network and with /usr NFS-exported?
28
29 Wkr,
30 Sven Vermeulen