From: Eric Jacoboni <jaco@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Portage and /usr/local
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 12:23:09
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm a NetBSD user and Gentoo portage system gives me a new desire to
4 test Linux on one of my boxes (i used to be a first Linux user, long
5 time ago).
6
7 I've installed it from scratch yesterday and all went fine, but i
8 think things could be better (from my very own point of vue, that is).
9
10 Portage system seems great but i've some questions and i've no found
11 answers anywhere :
12
13 - is this possible to get a description of what a ebuild is for ? On
14 *BSD ports, there is a DESCR file which contains a short
15 description, along with the master site URL. I find this short
16 descr very useful as, given the crowd of availables ebuilds, it's
17 sometimes difficult to find the one that best fits my need.
18
19 - one of the main reason of my *BSD choice is about files locations
20 (when i ls a linux directory, it's like entering my son's bedroom
21 ;-). With portage system, i think it could be possible to choose the
22 target install directory, via an environnement variable (i've
23 searched but i've no find anything like that). With such a variable
24 it could be possible to assure that "system" ebuilds are installed
25 under /, but "non-systems" ones are installed in another place, say
26 /usr/local, if we want so. Seeing gkrellm installed under /usr/bin
27 is, definitively, not what i had choosen if i had to install it
28 manually. Furthermore, it could un-bloat /etc, /usr/bin directories.
29
30 Sorry if it's not the place for such a post (i think is rather a dev
31 question, hence my choice). Feel free to redirect it to another place
32 if you think it's better (perhaps a feature-request list ?).
33 --
34 Éric Jacoboni, né il y a 1334602382 secondes