From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage and /usr/local
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 15:56:42
1 On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 07:23:07PM +0200, Eric Jacoboni wrote:
2 [... snip portage and *BSD comparison ...]
3 [... snipped because of lack of knowledge ...]
4 > - one of the main reason of my *BSD choice is about files locations
5 > (when i ls a linux directory, it's like entering my son's bedroom
6 > ;-). With portage system, i think it could be possible to choose the
7 > target install directory, via an environnement variable (i've
8 > searched but i've no find anything like that). With such a variable
9 > it could be possible to assure that "system" ebuilds are installed
10 > under /, but "non-systems" ones are installed in another place, say
11 > /usr/local, if we want so. Seeing gkrellm installed under /usr/bin
12 > is, definitively, not what i had choosen if i had to install it
13 > manually. Furthermore, it could un-bloat /etc, /usr/bin directories.
14
15 This is as defined by the FHS. /usr/local is for programs that are compiled
16 by sources not provided by the distribution.
17
18 Ofcourse, being able to change it on the users request (f.i.
19 ~$ export PREFIX=/usr/local; emerge gkrellm
20 ) could be an interesting feature (although I'm not going to use it).
21
22 Wkr,
23 Sven Vermeulen