From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Install Packages
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 03:06:47
1 Ron Parkison wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 > I am new to the Gentoo project. I have just completed the
5 > installation of the base system from the rc4_pre2 iso image and have
6 > rsync'd the portage files.
7 > Questions:
8 > 1) How do I install things like Xwindows, sound, ncftp?
9
10 You must use "pkgmerge" for the packages on the iso or "ebuild" if you
11 want to compile the package on your machine.
12
13 The pkgmerge that comes with the iso has a few disadvantages.
14 It checks dependencies after it untarred the package to a temporary
15 location. If arequired package is not found it breaks. This can be
16 annoying expecialy with the big-guys like xfree or tetex.
17 Next gen pkgmerge does this recursive and automatic, but it needs a new
18 package format.
19
20 If you want to build a package, cd into the packages subdir in the
21 portage
22 tree you rsync'd and type
23
24 ebuild [packagename].ebuild merge
25
26 If all build dependencies are satisified, ebuild downloads the required
27 sources and compiles and installs the package now.
28
29 Hope that's enogh for beginning. If you need more help, post again.
30 >
31 > 2) When I used "portage-maintain | more", it lists the preferred rev of
32 > most packages as an earlier version than was installed by the rc4_pre2
33 > iso CD?
34
35 Hmm, I'm not sure if portage-maintain is still usable. But our list
36 for rc4_pre2 is current-packages.new. It looks like portage-maintain
37 reads /etc/make.defaults and uses CURRENTFILE. Set CURRENTFILE to
38 current-packages.new and you should get the right reports.
41 > 3) Is there somewhere that I should look for documentation?
42
43 There are only three man-pages for ebuild. They are in newer portage
44 packages or you can find them in sys-apps/portage/files/man
45
46 More will come soon. Just watch app-doc/gentoo-doc
47
48 achim~
51 > I am subscribed to the mailing list and get some help there. However
52 > it seems that most of have been involved for a long time and don't need
53 > to put in a lot of detail. This makes it harder for us newcomers fully
54 > understand the goings on. This is not a complaint, just an
55 > observation. I appreciate the fact that you all are busy and cannot
56 > stop or slow down to help out all of us who are new. I listen in and
57 > try not to slow you down, but I could really use some help especially
58 > with question one.
59 >
60 > Thanks Ron
63 > gentoo-dev mailing list