From: Ron Parkison <rparkiso@×××××××.net>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Install Packages
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:35:57
1 Hi,
2 I am new to the Gentoo project. I have just completed the
3 installation of the base system from the rc4_pre2 iso image and have
4 rsync'd the portage files.
5 Questions:
6 1) How do I install things like Xwindows, sound, ncftp?
7
8 2) When I used "portage-maintain | more", it lists the preferred rev of
9 most packages as an earlier version than was installed by the rc4_pre2
10 iso CD?
11
12 3) Is there somewhere that I should look for documentation?
13
14 I am subscribed to the mailing list and get some help there. However
15 it seems that most of have been involved for a long time and don't need
16 to put in a lot of detail. This makes it harder for us newcomers fully
17 understand the goings on. This is not a complaint, just an
18 observation. I appreciate the fact that you all are busy and cannot
19 stop or slow down to help out all of us who are new. I listen in and
20 try not to slow you down, but I could really use some help especially
21 with question one.
22
23 Thanks Ron