From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Roles v2
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:02:43
1 Hi Mike,
2
3 On 3/4/06, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
4 > bad idea ...
5
6 Yes it is a bad idea; policy belongs with users. It shouldn't be
7 hardcoded into ebuilds, whether across the whole tree or per package.
8
9 But ... I realise I'm flogging a dead horse here.
10
11 We'll come up with a new revision of the PHP packages which builds
12 *something* no matter how broken the combination of USE flags are.
13 We'll test it first in our overlay, and then when we're happy we'll
14 add them to the tree for testing and eventual stabilisation.
15
16 We'll also provide a replacement for 'built_with_use', which works
17 with what the package was actually compiled with, rather than what USE
18 flags the user originally specified. This will be needed for all the
19 web-based apps that are written in PHP. That might take a bit longer,
20 and might have to follow in a later revision.
21
22 As already pointed out, all this will have to be revisited when
23 Portage supports USE-based deps.
24
25 Best regards,
26 Stu