From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@××××××××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] recruitment process
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 17:57:36
1 On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 05:50:49PM +0100, George Prowse wrote:
2 > That assumes the system is working perfectly and the whole fact that
3 > we are having this discussion would go against that.
4 >
5 > From what i've read in the community, lots of people would have no
6 > problems helping out maintaining packages, they just don't want the
7 > baggage that comes with it.
8 >
9 > You could say they're lazy or they're not the "type of developers
10 > you want" but at the end of the day they're just different
11 > developers, most of whom probably just want to make sure the
12 > packages they like are in the tree and updated.
13
14 Which is all well and good -- the "you wrote some ebuilds so here's
15 your commit privs and @gentoo.org" approach to recruitment worked great
16 when Gentoo had a few dozen developers.
17
18 Today QA is a bit more important, and development is often rather more
19 complex than "new version, bump the ebuild" -- it's important that new
20 developers have a firm understanding of ebuild complexities.
21
22 I have no dog in this fight, I don't even like resurfacing to post to -dev.
23 Just here to offer some insight on why we originally kept the quiz system.