From: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 04:02:06
1 On 10/04/16 04:49, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > 1. As you point out, its not a package. That means it works
3 > differently than everything else, and it can't be used as a
4 > dependency/etc.
5 > 2. Genkernel's initramfs isn't all that great. Don't get me wrong -
6 > it was very good back when it was new. However, I find it hard to
7 > compare it to the likes of dracut.
8 >
9 > However, if it were all that serious of an issue somebody would have
10 > fixed it by now. Manually building a kernel and using dracut is easy
11 > enough, and of course some prefer to not use an initramfs if their
12 > configuration allows it.
13 >
14 I haven't dared explore dracut because last I heard it was still
15 experimental. That people are actively using it (presumably in
16 production and not just experimental/development suggests at the very
17 least that the appropriate Gentoo wiki article needs updating (no
18 surprise there!).
19
20 Perhaps indeed genkernel needs some updating. When I last looked at the
21 best means of creating an initramfs, it was the least of the evils, but
22 there did seem a genuine lack of tools to accomplish it, which is where
23 I assume dracut came about.
24
25 Fundamentally, acknowledging a tangent of the original thread, I'd say
26 the jury remains out on whether Gentoo should be forcing the need of an
27 initramfs/rd on its users by default anyway. That kind of thing,
28 however, is of course, subject to a Council ruling if appropriate :) .