From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2016 03:49:56
1 On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 11:28 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > Ok I'm gonna push the Big Red Button here, and assume you may not have
3 > met 'genkernel' ..
4
5 Genkernel has been around for a LONG time. I'm well aware of it.
6
7 > ok its not a package, but its the nearest thing to
8 > Gentoo's solution to what you're suggesting ... And it's in the Handbook
9 > .. so, where's the issue, again?!
10
11 1. As you point out, its not a package. That means it works
12 differently than everything else, and it can't be used as a
13 dependency/etc.
14 2. Genkernel's initramfs isn't all that great. Don't get me wrong -
15 it was very good back when it was new. However, I find it hard to
16 compare it to the likes of dracut.
17
18 However, if it were all that serious of an issue somebody would have
19 fixed it by now. Manually building a kernel and using dracut is easy
20 enough, and of course some prefer to not use an initramfs if their
21 configuration allows it.
24 Rich