From: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
To: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
Cc: Marius Mauch <genone@××××××.de>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reason for dhcpcd in system profile ?
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 08:33:35
1 On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 00:22, Stewart Honsberger wrote:
4 > In Canada, DSL accounts for atleast half, perhaps even greater number of
5 > all broadband subscribers.
6
7 I'd have to take a guess that Comcast in California has more DHCP cable
8 customers than Canada has broadband customers. DSL has not been rolled
9 out enmass in such large numbers in the United States regardless of what
10 the phone companies would like people to think. There are still way too
11 many places where it's impossible to get DSL, and will remain so for
12 years. And I'm not talking about out in the sticks, but litterally 25
13 miles from the heart of Silicon Valley...It's not important what you
14 have, vs what I have, but what would benefit our users the most.
17 > During the install process I would expect to have dhcpcd and pppoe
18 > support included. We weren't talking about the install process, we were
19 > talking about the base system.
20
21 I had meant to clarify that more, but the same holds true. It just makes
22 basic sense to have what is required to get on ANY network as part of
23 the base system. Do we want to force people to have to emerge it so they
24 can use thier laptop somewhere besides at home if they have a PPPoE
25 connection?
28 > As for what it 'hurts', nothing, per se. The only effects I was
29 > referring to is runaway packages in the base system profile which can
30 > cause problems down the road.
31
32 I agree that pruning the base system is probably a good idea, but why
33 look at basic network components that atleast half of our users require
34 in order to get their machine on the net?
37 > For example, it's better to have as minimal a base system as possible to
38 > minimize support and allow flexibility. Perl 5 in the base system is a
39 > potential issue. It's rather large, and there are a significant number
40 > of users who have no use for it. Its inclusion should likely be
41 > investigated moreso than that of dhcpcd.
42
43 Yes, I would hope perl5 would be looked at more strongly than dhcpcd or
44 pppoe for removal from the base system =)
45
46 > FWIW, I don't feel terribly strongly one way or another with regards to
47 > dhcpcd.
48
49 For me it's a basic networking component, I don't feel either should
50 ever be considered for removal.
51
52 again, my .02 cents worth...
53