From: Stewart Honsberger <blkdeath@g.o>
To: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
Cc: Marius Mauch <genone@××××××.de>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reason for dhcpcd in system profile ?
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 07:22:23
1 Kevyn Shortell wrote:
2 > Well I for one would be completely SOL without it, my isp is sane and
3 > doesn't use PPPoE thank god. They do however use DHCP. And in case your
4 > wondering who my ISP is, it's Comcast Cable, which probably has more
5 > users than SOHO DSL. It isn't as if they are a little ISP.
6
7 In Canada, DSL accounts for atleast half, perhaps even greater number of
8 all broadband subscribers.
9
10 > Also, every wireless gateway on the planet uses DHCP, same goes for
11 > basic firewall boxes.
12 >
13 > I don't see the need to tell all those users that they have to do
14 > additional things in order to get thier box on the net during the
15 > install process. Do you? It doesn't hurt anything to leave it.
16
17 During the install process I would expect to have dhcpcd and pppoe
18 support included. We weren't talking about the install process, we were
19 talking about the base system.
20
21 As for what it 'hurts', nothing, per se. The only effects I was
22 referring to is runaway packages in the base system profile which can
23 cause problems down the road.
24
25 For example, it's better to have as minimal a base system as possible to
26 minimize support and allow flexibility. Perl 5 in the base system is a
27 potential issue. It's rather large, and there are a significant number
28 of users who have no use for it. Its inclusion should likely be
29 investigated moreso than that of dhcpcd.
30
31 FWIW, I don't feel terribly strongly one way or another with regards to
32 dhcpcd.
35 Stewart Honsberger
36 http://blackdeath.snerk.org/
37 "Capitalists, by nature, organize to protect themselves.
38 -- Geeks, by nature, resist organizaion."
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list