From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ChangeLog
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 03:17:34
1 On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 9:31 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > That is why a link was posted for me to use github instead. I
3 > do realize and understand that git and github are two different things
4 > but it seems they can work together as well. It ended up that the info
5 > I needed was on github but not to be found on any Gentoo site at the time.
6
7 Anything in /usr/portage that you can find on github is also on
8 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/, which is a Gentoo site.
9
10 That's kind of the point of git - there are a bazillion tools
11 available for it and it makes it very easy to clone a full repository
12 with full history. It also lowers the bar to contribution.
13
14 I get that you're frustrated with the change, and there are a few
15 others that are as well, but thousands of people use Gentoo, and
16 generally people only bother to post on lists when they're frustrated.
17 We can't go into panic mode every time somebody raises a complaint,
18 and ultimately everybody here is a volunteer.
19
20 The complaints don't really bother me much personally, but I do get
21 concerned that they'll discourage others from contributing. I can
22 just ignore threads like these easily enough, but people get
23 frustrated when they contribute and others just criticize.
26 Rich