From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ChangeLog
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 08:07:23
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 9:31 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> That is why a link was posted for me to use github instead. I
4 >> do realize and understand that git and github are two different things
5 >> but it seems they can work together as well. It ended up that the info
6 >> I needed was on github but not to be found on any Gentoo site at the time.
7 > Anything in /usr/portage that you can find on github is also on
8 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/, which is a Gentoo site.
9 >
10 > That's kind of the point of git - there are a bazillion tools
11 > available for it and it makes it very easy to clone a full repository
12 > with full history. It also lowers the bar to contribution.
13 >
14 > I get that you're frustrated with the change, and there are a few
15 > others that are as well, but thousands of people use Gentoo, and
16 > generally people only bother to post on lists when they're frustrated.
17 > We can't go into panic mode every time somebody raises a complaint,
18 > and ultimately everybody here is a volunteer.
19 >
20 > The complaints don't really bother me much personally, but I do get
21 > concerned that they'll discourage others from contributing. I can
22 > just ignore threads like these easily enough, but people get
23 > frustrated when they contribute and others just criticize.
27 What makes it so bad is the confusion as Duncan pointed out. I been
28 following this list for a long time, several years actually. I don't
29 read some threads because they are just devs talking about ebuilds and
30 such and generally that doesn't interest me. That said, I do watch for
31 future changes and was even glad that the change was finally happening.
32 It had been talked about for ages. My understanding was this. If a
33 person didn't want to use the new tools, nothing would change. Us
34 regular users could continue on like we always have. The change was
35 mostly for devs and other people who wanted to submit fixes that make it
36 to the tree and use github etc to do it. When the change first
37 happened, there was several issues that popped up and I watched as the
38 threads explained the situation as best as I could. Anytime a change
39 happens, things are going to pop up. It just seemed to me that after
40 all the years of talking about this change, it would seem that some of
41 the basic things should be worked out before the change. It's not like
42 this new tool set and method of doing things just popped up one day and
43 the switch happened a week later. It had been a work in progress for
44 something close to forever in Gentoo time.
45
46 Frustrated, yea. Not at first but this has been going on for a while.
47 Right now, I have a package that fails to build and I don't know where
48 the changelogs are for it and which ones would match what I have
49 locally. In the meantime, I'm skipping it. It's not that I can't fix
50 the problem, it's that I can't find information to find out what
51 changed. After all, it compiled fine several times before. Something
52 changed but no clue what, yet.
53
54 I might also add, the only thing getting updated when I sync in
55 /usr/portage is the ebuilds. The changelogs haven't updated in months.
56
57 Just keep in mind, I'm not a dev. I'm a user. I post from a user
58 perspective. Something is broke and it affects me and others.
59 Hopefully someone will find a fix, soon I hope and I suspect others hope
60 the same.
61
62 Dale
63