From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Dependencies on system packages
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 07:40:01
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2
3 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
6 >> There's ways to manage this complexity, such as putting the dependencies
7 >> into autotools' RDEPEND (if it can be considered correct) or by using
8 >> meta-packages. However, your point is against requiring that packages
9 >> _must_ specify all system dependencies. While I personally believe that
10 >> packages should specify all dependencies, what I'm arguing against is
11 >> requiring that packages _must not_ specify any system dependencies.
12 >>
13 >> --
14 >> Jason Stubbs
15 >
16 > I agree with your personal belief, however I also find it unmaintainable
17 > in the current system (metapackages in their current form
18 > non-withstanding as I don't think they are a great solution, merely duct
19 > tape if you will, but that is another discussion entirely).
20 >
21 > There is no benefit for me as a package maintainer to dep on a system
22 > package unless there is an existing problem. From a maintainer POV it's
23 > extra work and extra writing to keep the deps up to date. Also there is
24 > the whole thought of what to list? Do I list only glibc versions that I
25 > know work? gcc versions that I know compile my code? Where does the
26 > line get drawn? What is the point of depending on certain elements if
27 > say, they are already a dependency of $PACKAGE_MANAGER? It is not
28 > pragmatic for a distribution to do so IMHO, 'technically correct' or not.
29 >
30 I agree but I don't think Jason was saying that; just that he should
31 be /allowed/ to specify a dep; clearly it should be exceptional, and maybe
32 tracked as an issue with the pkg.
33
34 As you mention the worse is that an extra dep goes in. But if we take the
35 time to hammer out the policy now (so far I'm reading don't put in a system
36 dep unless you really have to, and even then it may indicate an upstream
37 problem) it'll at least be clear.
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list