From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dependencies on system packages
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 08:25:40
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
4 > There's ways to manage this complexity, such as putting the dependencies into
5 > autotools' RDEPEND (if it can be considered correct) or by using
6 > meta-packages. However, your point is against requiring that packages _must_
7 > specify all system dependencies. While I personally believe that packages
8 > should specify all dependencies, what I'm arguing against is requiring that
9 > packages _must not_ specify any system dependencies.
10 >
11 > --
12 > Jason Stubbs
13
14 I agree with your personal belief, however I also find it unmaintainable
15 in the current system (metapackages in their current form
16 non-withstanding as I don't think they are a great solution, merely duct
17 tape if you will, but that is another discussion entirely).
18
19 There is no benefit for me as a package maintainer to dep on a system
20 package unless there is an existing problem. From a maintainer POV it's
21 extra work and extra writing to keep the deps up to date. Also there is
22 the whole thought of what to list? Do I list only glibc versions that I
23 know work? gcc versions that I know compile my code? Where does the
24 line get drawn? What is the point of depending on certain elements if
25 say, they are already a dependency of $PACKAGE_MANAGER? It is not
26 pragmatic for a distribution to do so IMHO, 'technically correct' or not.
27
28 A few use cases that would go against this involve people doing odd
29 things like emerging a bunch of stuff and then unmerging a critical
30 system package (say, ncurses); since my program happened to depend on
31 ncurses anyway it would 'fix' the problem automatically for the user
32 instead of dying with no ncurses. Of course this use case could be
33 handled another way; by having portage make sure that packages listed in
34 'system' are installed. While I am a fan of the 'fix it automatically
35 in DEPEND' way here; the use case is rather...convenient. Unmerging
36 many things in system either break portage, or won't affect anything (oh
37 no I unmerged virtual/editor!)
38
39 So yeah, in conclusion; too much work, fix it when it's reported broken
40 seems like a decent (pragmatic) policy to me. If/When it becomes easy
41 to list stuff (package sets or something, please not metapackages in
42 their current form) then I'd be much more interested in implementing it.
43
44 As an aside, If you are unsure in a given situation feel free to ask
45 someone about it. Worse case you (put an extra dep in|leave out a dep);
46 both are easily repairable.
47 --
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list