From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dependencies on system packages
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 07:43:14
1 On Sunday 17 December 2006 16:04, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:10:57 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | I've tried to be objective here so if my viewpoint isn't obvious I'll
5 > | state it outright. I think all packages should depend on every
6 > | package that they need to build and/or run. Whether this is done
7 > | explicitly or with meta-packages, I don't really care. The only
8 > | reason for not being explicit with deps is to cater for old sloppy
9 > | versions of portage. Unless there are other reasons not stated here?
10 >
11 > If you mandate that, any package using autotools will need around fifty
12 > new entries in DEPEND.
13
14 There's ways to manage this complexity, such as putting the dependencies into
15 autotools' RDEPEND (if it can be considered correct) or by using
16 meta-packages. However, your point is against requiring that packages _must_
17 specify all system dependencies. While I personally believe that packages
18 should specify all dependencies, what I'm arguing against is requiring that
19 packages _must not_ specify any system dependencies.
22 Jason Stubbs
23 --
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list