From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dependencies on system packages
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 07:51:04
1 On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:41:40 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Sunday 17 December 2006 16:04, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:10:57 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
5 | > wrote:
6 | > | I've tried to be objective here so if my viewpoint isn't obvious
7 | > | I'll state it outright. I think all packages should depend on
8 | > | every package that they need to build and/or run. Whether this is
9 | > | done explicitly or with meta-packages, I don't really care. The
10 | > | only reason for not being explicit with deps is to cater for old
11 | > | sloppy versions of portage. Unless there are other reasons not
12 | > | stated here?
13 | >
14 | > If you mandate that, any package using autotools will need around
15 | > fifty new entries in DEPEND.
16 |
17 | There's ways to manage this complexity, such as putting the
18 | dependencies into autotools' RDEPEND (if it can be considered
19 | correct)
20
21 That one pulls us back into the lack of distinction between "stuff
22 needed when compiling against this library" and "stuff this library
23 needs to run".
24
25 | or by using meta-packages.
26
27 DEPEND="virtual/c-toolchain" would indeed be nice, but it's a rather
28 large change...
31 Ciaran McCreesh
32 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
33 Web : http://ciaranm.org/