From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: About linux-headers, making stages with catalyst
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 01:21:33
1 Lluís Batlle i Rossell posted
2 <20041201222109.GA20954@××××××××××××××××××.net>, excerpted below, on Wed,
3 01 Dec 2004 23:21:09 +0100:
4
5 > That "emerge" call, as a dependence, tries to install "linux-headers".
6 > In a similar case, using the same profile, it happens that "emerge"
7 > tries to install "gentoo-sources-2.4..." when emerging "device-mapper"
8 > (which depends on virtual/linux-source).
9 >
10 > Where does "emerge" read that it has to install "2.4" things? There are
11 > only the "virtuals" in the profile, isn't it? And they relate to 2.6...
12 > I really don't know how to tell emerge not to use "2.4" things, as I
13 > know only that he reads the "virtuals" for satisfying virtuals'
14 > dependencies.
15
16 OK, I know nothing about catalyst, and am just a user generally lurking on
17 the dev list, but... this one's a portage question at least in part, and I
18 /think/ I can answer that side of it.
19
20 Virtuals, in portage, mean any single package of a group of packages (all
21 with provides=<the virtual in question>) may meet the requirements. If
22 one is already installed, great, that satisfies the requirement. If no
23 such literal package fulfilling the requirement is yet installed, however,
24 portage falls back to a default choice.
25
26 What you have here is portage falling back to a 2.4 default choice, a 2.4
27 kernel and kernel-headers, while you want 2.6 versions. For a live
28 install, you'd simply install your chosen 2.6 version which would then
29 provide the virtual you needed.
30
31 I'm on amd64 and as I said haven't worked with catalyst, but AFAIK, what
32 you need to do there is fix the profile such that the defaults are 2.6.
33 Why are you still using a 2004.2 profile for one thing? The 2004.3
34 profile, if I'm not mistaken, defaults to kernel 2.6 along with updating
35 other requirements appropriately. If you have no specific reason not to,
36 I'd suggest updating to the 2004.3 profile.
37
38 If there's a specific reason not to do 2004.3, keep in mind that the
39 profile you are using is a cascading profile (which means you should be
40 using portage 2.0.51 as .50 had issues with cascading profiles). Thus,
41 the defaults from further up the tree are used if a profile itself doesn't
42 over-rule them. Dirs further /down/ the tree are NOT used, but are there
43 for those who want them as a special case, therefore, the gcc34 subdir of
44 your profile is a special case of the 2004.2 profile, with 2.6 being a
45 special case of the gcc34 special case of the 2004.2 case of the x86 case
46 of the default-linux profile. If you wish to use that 2004.2/gcc34/2.6
47 special case, you may do so, and it should change your requirements
48 accordingly.
49
50 If that still doesn't fit your rather customized case, then simply
51 customize the requirements. Again, using cascading profiles, virtuals
52 from up the tree are used if nothing in the current profile dir overrides
53 them. Thus, the virtuals file in x86 says use gentoo-sources (a 2.4
54 kernel) as the default virtual/linux-sources, while it falls back up to
55 default-linux to get the default for virtual/os-headers,
56 sys-kernel/linux-headers (kernel 2.4 headers).
57
58 Forcing 2.6 kernel and headers means placing a virtuals file in the
59 current profile, overriding those up the tree from it, with the defaults
60 you want, probably the same ones as in x86/2004.3, or in
61 x86/2004.2/gcc34/2.6, for those items.
62
63 Because I've never used catalyst, I'm not sure where you put edits to its
64 profile. I assume you put them in the stage1root you mentioned, but
65 that's just a guess. Read the documentation, or do a bit of experimenting.
69 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
70 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
71 Benjamin Franklin
76 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list