From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help offered - Portage tree
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:46:44
1 On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 10:15 -0400, Caleb Tennis wrote:
2 > > +1 on that and if people who use binary pkgs don't tell us what breaks,
3 > > we won't know.
4 >
5 > The binpkg format needs some way to store the actual versions of the dependencies as
6 > they were on the machine the package was compiled on. Then, when emerging the
7 > binpkg, someway to force those dependencies on the new install machine would be
8 > nice.
9
10 Please... God... no...
11
12 > I use this example because it's actually hit me before, but it extends to lots of
13 > other scenarios. The obvious fix is to either use --deep, or just make sure you
14 > need machine 2 up to date with machine 1, though that's difficult to do when you're
15 > talking about machine 301 and machine 559.
16
17 As much as I hate to say it, your example was rather bunk, because
18 openssl changed SONAME during that time. Keeping the package
19 information isn't *nearly* as important and doing some checking on the
20 package. It sounds more like we need to keep some additional
21 information around, so checks on things like NEEDED can be done.
22 Perhaps some new "LIBRARIES" file which lists libraries installed by the
23 package. Then, prior to merge, $package_manager could check NEEDED
24 versus RDEPEND versus LIBRARIES and bail if something's not
25 right/missing. In this case, even if the RDEPEND was
26 >=dev-libs/openssl-0.9.7 and you have 0.9.8, it would fail because
27 NEEDED would list libssl.so.0.9.7, but LIBRARIES would only have
28 libssl.so.0.9.8 in it.
29
30 > If there was a way to tell the bin package installer to make sure you met all of the
31 > same minimum verisons of the deps as they were on the original compiling machine,
32 > that would be fantastic.
33
34 Uhh... >= in RDEPEND does that, already... Also, this wouldn't have
35 resolved your openssl issue, at all. Your machine scenario above would
36 have still failed, since the minimum version was 0.9.7 on your build
37 host.
38
39 > Now, I'm happy to file a bug and assign it (to the portage team?), but I view this
40 > really as a wishlist item, and since admittedly very few devs use the binpkg stuff,
41 > I didn't see it as something that would probably get acted upon anyway. I'm not
42 > complaining about that either, just merely stating a fact.
43
44 Well, I sincerely hope that you do not file such a bug, as it would
45 royally screw over the one team in Gentoo that *does* consistently use
46 our binary package support.
47
48 I would definitely like to see the support improved, but not at the
49 expense of doing very stupid things like locking to specific
50 versions/revisions of packages. No offense, but that screams of RPM
51 hell.
54 Chris Gianelloni
55 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
56 Games Developer