From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help offered - Portage tree
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 18:48:34
1 >> I use this example because it's actually hit me before, but it extends to lots of
2 >> other scenarios. The obvious fix is to either use --deep, or just make sure you
3 >> need machine 2 up to date with machine 1, though that's difficult to do when
4 >> you're
5 >> talking about machine 301 and machine 559.
6 >
7 > As much as I hate to say it, your example was rather bunk, because
8 > openssl changed SONAME during that time. Keeping the package
9
10 You're right here. After review, the problem was the difference between 0.9.8e and
11 0.9.8g, the latter of which provided some form of newer symbol that wasn't in e.
12 But the concept is the same.
13
14 > information isn't *nearly* as important and doing some checking on the
15 > package. It sounds more like we need to keep some additional
16 > information around, so checks on things like NEEDED can be done.
17 > Perhaps some new "LIBRARIES" file which lists libraries installed by the
18 > package. Then, prior to merge, $package_manager could check NEEDED
19 > versus RDEPEND versus LIBRARIES and bail if something's not
20 > right/missing. In this case, even if the RDEPEND was
21 >>=dev-libs/openssl-0.9.7 and you have 0.9.8, it would fail because
22 > NEEDED would list libssl.so.0.9.7, but LIBRARIES would only have
23 > libssl.so.0.9.8 in it.
24
25 This seems perfectly acceptable to me.
26
27 > Uhh... >= in RDEPEND does that, already... Also, this wouldn't have
28 > resolved your openssl issue, at all. Your machine scenario above would
29 > have still failed, since the minimum version was 0.9.7 on your build
30 > host.
31
32 I'm not talking about meeting the minimum required by the ebuild, I'm talking about
33 the minimum that were installed at the time of the emerge.
34
35 > Well, I sincerely hope that you do not file such a bug, as it would
36 > royally screw over the one team in Gentoo that *does* consistently use
37 > our binary package support.
38
39 I don't plan on filing the bug, but if it was an optional emerge option to use the
40 actual version deps vs. the DEPEND of the ebuild, it wouldn't affect you would it?
41
42 > I would definitely like to see the support improved, but not at the
43 > expense of doing very stupid things like locking to specific
44 > versions/revisions of packages. No offense, but that screams of RPM
45 > hell.
46
47 I'm not trying to lock to any specific version. I'm trying to reproduce on machine
48 2 the same state of packages that package A was compiled against on machine 1. And
49 even make it optional to do so, via an emerge flag.
53 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list