From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Help offered - Portage tree
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:02:58
1 On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 14:48 -0400, Caleb Tennis wrote:
2 > > As much as I hate to say it, your example was rather bunk, because
3 > > openssl changed SONAME during that time. Keeping the package
4 >
5 > You're right here. After review, the problem was the difference between 0.9.8e and
6 > 0.9.8g, the latter of which provided some form of newer symbol that wasn't in e.
7 > But the concept is the same.
8
9 Correct. That would not have been caught and would be an issue, still.
10
11 > > Uhh... >= in RDEPEND does that, already... Also, this wouldn't have
12 > > resolved your openssl issue, at all. Your machine scenario above would
13 > > have still failed, since the minimum version was 0.9.7 on your build
14 > > host.
15 >
16 > I'm not talking about meeting the minimum required by the ebuild, I'm talking about
17 > the minimum that were installed at the time of the emerge.
18 >
19 > > Well, I sincerely hope that you do not file such a bug, as it would
20 > > royally screw over the one team in Gentoo that *does* consistently use
21 > > our binary package support.
22 >
23 > I don't plan on filing the bug, but if it was an optional emerge option to use the
24 > actual version deps vs. the DEPEND of the ebuild, it wouldn't affect you would it?
25
26 If it were optional, it wouldn't affect us. I'd have no issue with some
27 kind of optional support for this sort of thing.
28
29 > > I would definitely like to see the support improved, but not at the
30 > > expense of doing very stupid things like locking to specific
31 > > versions/revisions of packages. No offense, but that screams of RPM
32 > > hell.
33 >
34 > I'm not trying to lock to any specific version. I'm trying to reproduce on machine
35 > 2 the same state of packages that package A was compiled against on machine 1. And
36 > even make it optional to do so, via an emerge flag.
37
38 This is likely usually done by controlling the binrepo. At least,
39 that's how I do it.
42 Chris Gianelloni
43 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
44 Games Developer