From: "Sami Näätänen" <sn.ml@××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 15:25:29
1 On Sunday 07 September 2003 16:21, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 17:02, Jan Krueger wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 07 September 2003 12:44, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
4 > > > heh. Choose '2' for etc-update 8)
5 > >
6 > > Normally i do so. But i dont want to press this key!
7 > >
8 > > Please understand: Its not about pressing a key. Its about:
9 > >
10 > > Requiring expensive human interaction when there is no need for it.
11 >
12 > And not spending a minute or two every now and then might cause a
13 > few hours of debugging.
14 >
15 > The other side of the issue that nobody really touched (or wanted to)
16 > up to now, is that the way of doing things as we do is with a reason.
17 > What about proposing (with maybe prototype) a new way of doing what
18 > we do now via CONFIG_PROTECT and etc-update/dispatch-conf that will
19 > also fit the requirements that you guys want ?
20 >
21 > Lastly, Nick, what happened to the auto merging of config files ?
22 > At some stage, if the file was not changed by the user
23 > (/var/cache/edb/config), they should be updated automatically.
24 > I am thinking now of the postfix example stuff (/etc/postfix/sample)
25 > and the gnome stuff in /etc/sound/events/ and /etc/gnome/, the
26 > X kbd stuff, etc have to be merged manually every time, although I
27 > never change them ...
28
29 I get only couple of files from even big world -Du updates, because I
30 use CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK to get rid of unnecessary file updates.
31
32 CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/init.d /etc/X11/xkb /etc/X11/xdm
33 /etc/X11/xserver /etc/X11/xsm /etc/X11/xinit /etc/env.d"
34
35 And if I need global env settings I simply add my own file to env.d
36 directory.
37
38 So I for example have 00locale file in there, which set LC_CTYPE for my
39 system.
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list