From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
Cc: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>, Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>, Nick Jones <carpaski@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 13:18:15
1 On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 17:02, Jan Krueger wrote:
2 > On Sunday 07 September 2003 12:44, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
3 >
4 > > heh. Choose '2' for etc-update 8)
5 >
6 > Normally i do so. But i dont want to press this key!
7 >
8 > Please understand: Its not about pressing a key. Its about:
9 >
10 > Requiring expensive human interaction when there is no need for it.
13 And not spending a minute or two every now and then might cause a
14 few hours of debugging.
15
16 The other side of the issue that nobody really touched (or wanted to)
17 up to now, is that the way of doing things as we do is with a reason.
18 What about proposing (with maybe prototype) a new way of doing what
19 we do now via CONFIG_PROTECT and etc-update/dispatch-conf that will
20 also fit the requirements that you guys want ?
21
22 Lastly, Nick, what happened to the auto merging of config files ?
23 At some stage, if the file was not changed by the user
24 (/var/cache/edb/config), they should be updated automatically.
25 I am thinking now of the postfix example stuff (/etc/postfix/sample)
26 and the gnome stuff in /etc/sound/events/ and /etc/gnome/, the
27 X kbd stuff, etc have to be merged manually every time, although I
28 never change them ...
33 Martin Schlemmer
34 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
35 Cape Town, South Africa