From: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
To: azarah@g.o
Cc: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>, Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>, Nick Jones <carpaski@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 14:02:22
1 On Sunday 07 September 2003 13:21, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > The other side of the issue that nobody really touched (or wanted to)
3 > up to now, is that the way of doing things as we do is with a reason.
4 > What about proposing (with maybe prototype) a new way of doing what
5 > we do now via CONFIG_PROTECT and etc-update/dispatch-conf that will
6 > also fit the requirements that you guys want ?
7
8 Ok, as is understand this would be the variable:
9 CONFIG_EXCLUDE in /etc/make.conf
10
11 This variable would accept a list of directories/files for which the behaviour
12 of portage would be like follows:
13
14 whenever portage has the image of the to install software ready it scans this
15 image for the values in CONFIG_EXCLUDE.
16
17 whenever it finds such a directory/file in the image it moves the
18 directory/file to the doc-directory (eg:
19 /usr/share/doc/${PF}/excluded_config/ ) of the image (and maybe writes a
20 message to the user/log)
21
22 after that portage continues normally.
23
24 (btw: i really dont like the possibility an ebuild can change the live
25 filesystem in pkg_postinst. that somehow makes the sandbox useless. it
26 shudders me, when i think of an ebuild that has a complicated shell code in
27 pkg_postinst with rm/cp/mv/cat/(other potentially dangerous commands) in it.
28 I just can hope that this shell code works as expected on the wide variations
29 of gentoo installations. but thats another story and another reason why i
30 dont use gentoo on my servers any longer)
31
32 Jan
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list