From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
Cc: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>, Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>, Nick Jones <carpaski@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 14:10:10
1 On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 18:07, Jan Krueger wrote:
2 > On Sunday 07 September 2003 13:21, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
3 > > The other side of the issue that nobody really touched (or wanted to)
4 > > up to now, is that the way of doing things as we do is with a reason.
5 > > What about proposing (with maybe prototype) a new way of doing what
6 > > we do now via CONFIG_PROTECT and etc-update/dispatch-conf that will
7 > > also fit the requirements that you guys want ?
8 >
9 > Ok, as is understand this would be the variable:
10 > CONFIG_EXCLUDE in /etc/make.conf
11 >
12 > This variable would accept a list of directories/files for which the behaviour
13 > of portage would be like follows:
14 >
15 > whenever portage has the image of the to install software ready it scans this
16 > image for the values in CONFIG_EXCLUDE.
17 >
18 > whenever it finds such a directory/file in the image it moves the
19 > directory/file to the doc-directory (eg:
20 > /usr/share/doc/${PF}/excluded_config/ ) of the image (and maybe writes a
21 > message to the user/log)
22 >
23 > after that portage continues normally.
26 Ok, this sounds like an good alternative, and it is flexible.
27
28 Might add a bug and add us all to it after its been discussed some more.
29
30 > (btw: i really dont like the possibility an ebuild can change the live
31 > filesystem in pkg_postinst. that somehow makes the sandbox useless. it
32 > shudders me, when i think of an ebuild that has a complicated shell code in
33 > pkg_postinst with rm/cp/mv/cat/(other potentially dangerous commands) in it.
34 > I just can hope that this shell code works as expected on the wide variations
35 > of gentoo installations. but thats another story and another reason why i
36 > dont use gentoo on my servers any longer)
39 But you trust the daemons/programs running with root privs all the
40 time ? :D
43 Cheers,
47 Martin Schlemmer
48 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
49 Cape Town, South Africa