From: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
To: Colin Morey <moreyc@××××××××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] documenting using LVM during the install.
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 19:20:25
1 Colin Morey <moreyc@××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Sat, 2002-08-17 at 23:46, Terje Kvernes wrote:
4 >
5 > > okay, last night was interesting. I found out that adding a
6 > > doctype to the standard documentation for Gentoo breaks apart the
7 > > top images (gtop-s and gtop-b) in Gecko-based user agents. I'm
8 > > not quite sure of what to do about that, yet. suggestions are
9 > > welcome.
10 >
11 > interesting.. do you mean a doctype to the xml? as the main Gentoo
12 > front page at http://www.gentoo.org has a Doctype, and yet the
13 > images look fine for me with Galeon v1.2.5
14
15 ah. interesting. you give the doctype as:
16
17 <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
18
19 while xsltproc[1] gives:
20
21 <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
22 "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">
23
24 which breaks the images. hm, I'm not sure if you can omit the
25 URI[2]. maybe I'll fiddle with this and see what happens. the big
26 issue is that the image breaks with the doctype xsltproc returns,
27 since setting the doctype yourself isn't trivial, since it's not
28 valid XML, and can't be used in the xsl-document. maybe one can
29 fiddle with CDATA or something? hmpf. not my cup of tea.
30
31 > > input on <url: http://terje.kvernes.no/lvm.html > is also welcome.
32 >
33 > looking good so far..
34
35 well, I'm not sure what is missing from that document. it is as you
36 can see produced with the standard xsl.
37
38 > however I'd be tempted to move the paragraph that's in the
39 > right-hand column of the page,(the summary), into a forward/preface,
40 > otherwise it will cause the right-hand bar to take up a large amount
41 > of screen space on low-res browsers.
42
43 I totally agree, but this is the standard Gentoo layout. I'd be
44 _happy_ to fix some visual aspects like this, and remove some table
45 usage, and maybe some other small fixes, if people are interested.
48 [1] xsltproc returns html doctypes when given a proper xsl:output,
49 like this:
50 <xsl:output encoding="iso-8859-15"
51 method="html"
52 version="4.01"