From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Slotted Lua + revdeps to be unmasked on Christmas Eve
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 02:56:16
1 On 12/22/20 6:15 PM, Marek Szuba wrote:
2 > Dear all,
3 >
4 > mail-filter/opendkim - committed ebuild needs one extra fix
5
6 One last design issue that I ran into during the migration.
7
8 The slotted lua ebuilds install the headers into subdirectories like
9 /usr/include/lua5.2, but otherwise with their upstream names. The
10 libraries, on the other hand, all get installed directly to $libdir..
11 but with NON-standard names like liblua5.2.a (as opposed to simply
12 liblua.a).
13
14 This makes it impossible to build against a specific version of Lua
15 without using pkg-config. The usual way would be to add
16 /usr/include/lua5.2 to the compiler's include path, and $libdir/lua5.2
17 to its library path (via -I and -L)... but there's no way to tell the
18 build system to look for a library of an entirely different name. Things
19 like AC_SEARCH_LIBS are going to try -llua, and that's it.