From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 13:15:19
1 On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 9:05 AM <nado@××××××××××.be> wrote:
2 >
3 > I’m not sure I was clear enough in what 13.0 would mean : basically, its current content would be
4 > delegated to common, and 13.0 would keep only things needed to have minimal breakages/conflicts.
5 > And we would keep the current directory-like inheritance.
8 Your proposal was clear enough. I was just pointing out that it might
9 make more sense to make common the thing that is minimal to prevent
10 breakage/conflict, and make 13.0 something that could not be reliably
11 inherited by the things below it in the hierarchy. Ie, it wouldn't
12 really be a hierarchy any longer.
13
14 And, honestly, it wasn't necessarily intended as a design that we
15 ought to adopt, but more to get people to stop and think about the
16 issues with how we're doing it today.
17
18 Some of it might just be user mindset. A lot of people are drawn to
19 Gentoo by minimalism, and I'd count myself among them in general.
20 However, that leads to a certain tendency to start out with the most
21 minimal starting point within Gentoo, and I don't know that this is a
22 good idea. Even the desktop profile for Gentoo is pretty minimal
23 compared to a lot of distros out there. While you can get Gentoo
24 running with busybox and such and I completely support having profiles
25 to enable this, I'm not sure this is the sort of thing that we want to
26 point new users towards as a starting point.
29 Rich