From: nado@××××××××××.be
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 13:03:58
1 July 20, 2018 2:55 PM, "Rich Freeman" <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 8:39 AM <nado@××××××××××.be> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Why not introducing a new level in the hierarchy ? Something like "common" could be fit.
6 >>
7 >> default/linux/amd64/13.0
8 >> default/linux/amd64/13.0/common
9 >> default/linux/amd64/13.0/common/desktop
10 >> default/linux/amd64/13.0/common/developer
11 >> ...
12 >>
13 >> By doing so we could still have a bare profiles with minimal things set to work, and have the
14 >> common subset with sane defaults for most users.
15 >
16 > I think one of the issues is that our docs/defaults and the mentality
17 > of our users tends to drive them to what looks like the most basic
18 > starting point.
19 >
20 > I think that having a base profile intended just as an inheritance
21 > point for other profiles makes sense technically, but it may not
22 > actually be a good default for end-users.
23 >
24 > If you set up the example above, how many would would still pick 13.0
25 > as their starting point, and not common?
26 >
27 > Now, there is nothing that says that inheritance has to follow the
28 > directory tree. We could have a
29 > default/linux/amd64/13.0/donotuse/core profile that everything
30 > inherits, and make that the minimal one. It just means that most
31 > profiles under 13.0 wouldn't inherit 13.0.
32 >
33 > To some degree we may have painted ourselves into a bit of a corner by
34 > presenting this as a heirarchy, as it tends to force the bottom of the
35 > heirarchy to be the best profile for inheritance, when it is also the
36 > first thing users see as well.
37
38 I’m not sure I was clear enough in what 13.0 would mean : basically, its current content would be
39 delegated to common, and 13.0 would keep only things needed to have minimal breakages/conflicts.
40 And we would keep the current directory-like inheritance.
41
42 Then about what is presented to users and how they choose it : we could adapt eselect-profile to
43 hilight some suggested defaults by use-case and people who still want to pick the minimalist one
44 can do so freely, as they are probably doing it right now anyway.
47 Corentin “Nado” Pazdera